Halldor K Bjarnason,
BA (Hons), LL.B.
Areas of Practice
- Wills, Trusts, and Estate and Tax Planning
- Estate planning for families with relatives with disabilities
- Probate and estate administration
- Advice to Executors and Trustees
- Estate litigation, including: contested committeeship applications, Wills Variation Act applications, and other estate-related actions.
- BA (Hons) – University of Winnipeg (1986)
- LL.B. – Queens University at Kingston (1989)
- Called to the Ontario Bar (1991)
- Called to the British Columbia Bar (1993)
- Halldor K Bjarnason provided estate planning services to all of the special track claimants of the Jericho Hill School Individual Compensation Program.
- Appears in BC Supreme Court as an expert witness on disability trusts.
- Acts as counsel to other law firms, providing advice on disability-related trusts.
- Probate and estate administration.
- Has prepared hundreds of disability-related trusts.
- Has developed many creative solutions for people who risk being cut off of provincial disability assistance due to excess assets.
- Wrote the disability-related estate planning materials for the British Columbia Professional Legal Training Course.
- Provides legal advice to numerous charities which assist persons with disabilities.
- Appears as counsel in British Columbia’s Supreme Court on Wills Variation Act applications, challenges to trustees, and committeeship applications.
- Represents many clients on ICBC and other personal injury matters when there is an issue with respect to capacity.
Memberships and Associations
- Law Society of BC, Equity & Diversity Committee
- Law Society of BC, Disability Advisory Committee: Member, Past Chair
- First Baptist Foundation: Former Director
- Canadian Bar Association – National Equality Committee: Former Member
- Theatre Terrific Society: Former President
- Planned Lifetime Advocacy Network: Director, Former Treasurer
- Neil Squire Foundation: Former Director
- Canadian Cerebral Palsy Sports Association: National President (1990 – 1993). International Representative (1991-1995)
- Coast Foundation: Trust Program Advisory Committee Publications
- Organizing Events (with Lynda Cannell) Western Legal Publications: 1999
Numerous articles/manual chapters on:
- Estate law/planned giving
- Sport/sports therapy liability
- Human rights & disability issues
Outside of the office, Halldor spends his time raising his young son, Elliot, and when time permits, pursues an avid interest in antique firefighting apparatus and fire history; has compiled an extensive collection of jokes; hikes; and enjoys traveling – which has led to a keen interest in scenic photography.
Halldor is a former competitive cyclist. He has attended many international games, including the 1988 Seoul Paralympics and the 1992 Paralympics in Barcelona. In Seoul, he set the 1500m tricycle sprint world record.